What does this mean for drone delivery?
- Transportation of property for compensation or hire is ALLOWED.
- The aircraft, including the payload and cargo must weigh less than 55 lbs total.
- FAA airworthiness certification for the aircraft is not required.
- The flight must be within visual line of sight of the operator. Remote viewing of a camera feed on the drone is NOT considered a visual line of sight. Also, the operator cannot be in a moving vehicle or aircraft during the flight.
- The flight must be within the bounds of the United States airspace (More details and restrictions about where you can fly in Part 107).
- You cannot fly over anyone who is not involved in the delivery.
- Most restrictions in Part 107 are waive-able provided the operator shows the operation can be conducted safely. There will be an online process to obtain these waivers in the coming months.
- Drone delivery is now legal in the US!
- You must maintain physical line of sight with the drone.
- FAA Part 107 (Link below) outlines where you can and cannot fly.